One of the roughest things to find is a clean and healthy birthday cake. After years of searching this recipe satisfies every time. Now making an extra cake every time your child is invited to a party isn’t so bad since you can have a piece too!
- 3/4 block Kerrygold butter (3/4 of a cup)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2-3/4 cup local honey
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 cup kefir (preferably kefir made from cream)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups almond flour, preferably fine ground, blanched
- 4 eggs, preferably from pastured chickens
- Combine butter, cocoa powder and honey in a stand up mixer, beat until frothy, about 10 minutes. Add almond extract and kefir. Combine baking soda, cinnamon and almond flour into a separate bowl. Alternate adding one egg and a little of the dry ingredients mixing until fully combined Pour batter into a greased round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Better served cold.
- * If you would like to use medjool dates as your sweetener it is an option. Note that the use of dates will cause the cake to fall in the middle. If this is not a concern to you this option is more healthful than honey.
This cake was originally made with this frosting from nourishedandnurtured.blogspot.com. Thank you to Sarah at Nourished and Nurtured for allowing us to share her delicious frosting recipe here on Nourishing Plot. Since originally posting the recipe a more GAPS compliant one was developed by this author and edited below on the recipe card. The updated recipe does not used heated honey leaving the valuable enzymes in place.
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 sticks real butter (made from pastured cream or use Kerrygold or cultured butter)
- 1/2 cup honey (less if preferred)
- optional 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- In stand up mixer add eggs, almond extract and salt and mix on low-medium until light and fluffy, a few minutes.
- Pour egg mixture into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add butter, honey and cocoa to mixer and beat until fluffy, about 15-20 minutes.
- Pour the egg mixture slowly into the butter mixture and beat a few more minutes until well combined. Frost cake as desired.
*If you learned something from this post share it so others can do the same. To support the efforts of this blog shop the affiliate links above like this one. You pay the same shopping through Amazon while the author receives a small referral fee from Amazon. This offsets the costs of this site.
*Nourishing Plot is written by Becky Plotner, ND, traditional naturopath, GAPS who sees clients in Rossville, Georgia. Since her son was delivered from the effects of autism (Asperger’s syndrome), ADHD, bipolar disorder/manic depression, hypoglycemia and dyslexia through food she continued her education specializing in Leaky Gut and parasitology through Duke University, finishing with distinction. This is not a news article published by a paper trying to make money. This blog is put out by a mom who sees first hand the effects of nourishing food vs food-ish items. No company pays her for writing these blogs, she considers this a form of missionary work. It is her desire to scream it from the rooftops so that others don’t suffer from the damaging effect of today’s “food”.
Topicsadditives ADHD adrenal anxiety autism B12 behavior bipolar butter candida chelation cholesterol coconut oil depression Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride drugs fat fluoride food intolerances GAPS GAPS approved GAPS recipe GAPS snack GMO healing heavy metals heavy metal toxicity home schooling hormones iodine kefir microbiome natural healing nutrient dense nutrient dense foods probiotic probiotics recipe recipes research sauerkraut thyroid toxicity toxins wheat
Subscribe to our blog posts!
- Homemade Soap – A Clean Way to Get Clean
- Thanksgiving Turkey – GAPS Approved
- Pumpkin Pie – GAPS Approved
- Pie Pumpkin VS Jack-O-Lantern Pumpkin, The Pumpkin Pie Showdown
- Cooking With Olive Oil – Caution Advised
- Resolving Croup Naturally
- The Damage Stress Does To The Microbiome
- Resolving Constipation While On GAPS
- High Cholesterol Findings Show Enormous Benefits
- Halloween Party Tray – GAPS Approved