DSC04303Making kraut juice is nearly the easiest and cheapest probiotic you can make at home. Kraut juice is gentle on the stomach which makes it easy for digestion and is encouraged starting at the earliest stages of GAPS. Kraut juice will ease constipation and help repopulate your good gut flora according to Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, MD, neurologist, neurosurgeon and author of GAPS (affiliate link).

There are many ways to make kraut juice, this one is adapted from Nourishing Traditions (affiliate link).

This recipe will give you three gallons of kraut juice. Don’t fret, it goes faster than you think. Even those in the house who are not on GAPS throw elbows over kraut juice.

Be sure to use an organic head of cabbage. Sally Fallon says sauerkraut has 200 times more bioavailable vitamin C because the fermenting process makes the nutrient from the cabbage digestible and available. The same it true for kraut juice. Vitamin C is a fantastic detoxer, vital to GAPS patients so you want a head of cabbage with the most vitamin C possible – organic.

DSC04293Take a large head of cabbage and chop it up in the Vitamix ( by floating cubes of cabbage), food processor or mandolin (affiliate link). Five pounds is roughly the right size. The smaller the pieces the faster it will ferment. Sprinkle 6 tablespoons (for a large head of cabbage) salt on top and stir thoroughly. Now you have a couple of choices: pound the kraut or ignore it and let it sit. The larger the chopped pieces the less it will open the cell walls if it just sits.

DSC04298I let mine sit while I do other work. Let it sit anywhere from 20 minutes to overnight. The salt will do the work for you if your cabbage is shredded into small bits. What you’re looking for is the extracted juices and limp cabbage. The salt is breaking down the cellular structure, allowing the juice of the cabbage to release.

DSC04300Fill your jars 1/3 of the way up with the cabbage and salt mixture. Fill the rest with filtered water.

DSC04303Put your lids on and let them sit on the counter for 9-12 days, preferably in a dark cool place. The amount of time for leaving out kraut juice as it brews depends on where you live, temperature is important. The other factors that make a huge difference in reference to mold growth are salt content and air. If air is accessible to your brew it will mold faster. If leaving the brew out concerns you do a shorter brew on the counter-top and then complete the brewing process in the refrigerator. This will prevent mold growth. There is no absolute rule on time for brewing as these extra factors play an important role in the process. The variables of salt, air, sinking vs floating vegetables, nutrition of cabbage head, temperature and sunlight all play a factor. You need to find what works best for you and your kitchen as well as what is tolerable to your body. Those with the deepest gut damage to the microbiome need to allow their brew to sit for 4 months for no histamine response.

I stick my brewing jars under a towel in the corner of the counter-top near the air conditioning vent. Sometimes the cabbage floats, sometimes it sinks, it really doesn’t matter. If the kraut juice ferments too long and white yeast forms on the top just scoop it off and throw it away. The product is still good.

Refrigerate and enjoy.

*Nourishing Plot is written by Becky Plotner, ND, traditional naturopath, CGP, D.PSc. who sees clients in Rossville, Georgia. She works as a Certified GAPS Practitioner who sees clients in her office, Skype and phone. She has been published in Wise Traditions, spoken at two Weston A. Price Conferences, Certified GAPS Practitioner Trainings, has been on many radio shows, television shows and writes for Nourishing Plot. Since her son was delivered from the effects of autism (Asperger’s syndrome), ADHD, bipolar disorder/manic depression, hypoglycemia and dyslexia, through food, she continued her education specializing in Leaky Gut and parasitology through Duke University, finishing with distinction. She is a Chapter Leader for The Weston A. Price Foundation. becky.nourishingplot@hotmail.com

“GAPS™ and Gut and Psychology Syndrome™ are the trademark and copyright of Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. The right of Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted by her in accordance with the Copyright, Patent and Designs Act 1988.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestFacebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest

180 Responses to Kraut Juice

1. Mindy says:

How many pounds of cabbage do you consider a medium cabbage? I have a bunch of small cabbages and I’m wondering how much to cut up for the 6 tbsp of salt.

just went to weigh my next head and it’s 5 pounds. i consider it a medium head.

• Samantha says:

Hello Becky! I have. 6 week old baby who has severe acid reflux and research has led me to your site. Do you know how many drops of this juice I could give her and how many times a day? Thanks so much for all the info above!!

• joe says:

Six Tablespoons of salt is a lot, to me. I usually use two T-Spoons for ea. five pounds.

This is what I do too when I make kraut. Kraut juice is a different recipe and is more likely to form kham yeast if there isn’t enough salt.

• joe says:

But if too much salt this can suppress fermentation of the cabbage.
            And make the juice really salty.
            Got to watch the salt intake for older people.

• Ali says:

Good quality unrefined sea salt, rich in and complete with all its plethora of other minerals and trace elements that help the body use the sodium & chloride properly, is not harmful but very healing and can actually help rebalance things like blood pressure issues.

It is cheap, nasty, refined and processed incomplete table salt that is problematic and can affect BP. There is a world of difference between the two.

• Dave says:

That is correct amount for that amount of cabbage if you are not adding water. This recipe needs to salt the cabbage and the added water.

• Dory says:

your recipe says large head! not medium tho

2. Mindy says:

Ok, thank you!

3. lydia902 says:

How bathroom active does this make you? My son has Crohn’s so sauerkraut is out but I’m thinking this might be possible.

the die off is specific to each person’s gut damage. if he has chrones he has gut damage. the only way to tell is to test a small portion and go from there – 1 tsp or less for the whole day and build up from there. once you get the squirts, back off on the dose and stay there for a few weeks and try to add a bit more. little amounts frequently throughout the day is most effective

4. Wanda says:

How much water in the vitamix? Does it matter?

the water in the vitamix is just to float the vegetables to chop them. i fill it up 3/4 full with water, add in a palm sized portion of the head, 1/4 head or less, put on the vitamix for a brief second, then strain in a colander.

5. Heather says:

“A dark cool place”

My home is not air conditioned and the basement is not accessible this summer. What would be the optimal temperature to ferment at? I might have to take my jars to my mother’s house if the typical summer temperature of over 76 degrees won’t work.

Thank you!

i’ve not heard of a house yet that doesn’t work. remember this is a traditional food. people did this before refrigerators and air conditioning to preserve food. the warmer the house the faster it ferments. just watch your batch and judge from there.

6. Donna says:

How long does it last? How much to do you take daily? tu

it lasts in the refrigerator for a very long time, over a year. the amount you would take daily would depend on your gut damage, if there is any. when i started i began with 1 tsp. if i ate more than that i would get the walking farts or the squirts (i cant believe i just put that out there for the world to see!!!!) if you can tolerate that amt successfully increase it. die off symptoms are cold- like symptoms, flu-like symptoms, rash, the runs

• Kate says:

Hi Becky…….you say that you started with 1 tsp……..just out of interest what quantity have you worked it up to now? Thank you

I actually started with one drop. Most people can start at one teaspoon. Before I started addressing SIBO directly I was up to 1/4 cup several times throughout the day.

• shaunne says:

AT what point did you switch over to eating the actual kraut? Can the filtered water be from a tap that has house filters?

Only your body can tell you when it is ready for the vegetable. Yes, I use my house water filter.

• Clark says:

I recently made some kraut juice which i let ferment for a month in a very hot house. Holy histamines, Batman! GAPS says the longer you ferment the more histamines will degrade but my question is- if i already filtered the juice from the cabbage, can i put it back in the cupboard to ferment longer? Or can it not go further if its already filtered

7. Carol says:

Great info! I am wanting to make this, but I’m salt sensive. Does this way still cause problems with people that have to watch their salt intake? Thanks so much. ~ Carol

carol this is a traditional method. sandor katz, the godfather of fermentation says salt is for taste and that the vegetables will ferment themselves just with their own enzymes. cut the salt in half if you are concerned, it’ll be fine. this is not a salty product in the end as the salt is part of the fermentation, especially if you cut it in half.

• Joanne says:

Maybe it would make a difference between using table salt and a proper mineral salt….if you haven’t tried the good salt yet, then you really should get some Himalayan or Celtic salt and see if you are sensitive to that.

• Aly says:

Can we eliminate the salt all together? I thought the salt was only to help draw water from the cabbage? If so – would it work to grate the cabbage, pound the little juice that can be released without salt use, separate into jars, and add water (rather than waiting when using salt) ?

I make salt free Krout and it’s always been fine but wasn’t sure if the Krout juice recipe would be the same? However I could always juice celery and let that sit on grated cabbage to pull water as well, right?

There are numerous methods, you are correct. Sandor Katz, author of Wild Fermentation, says salt is for taste.

• Ginger says:

He also says that salt inhibits the growth of bacteria that makes the kraut less crunchy. I.e. salt makes it stay crunchy.

• Jay says:

It isn’t just for taste. A good quality natural salt will help to control bad bacteria also. Many grocery markets carry “Redmonds.” You may have to ask for it, sometimes it is hard to find. Be careful with just “sea-salt” as it is often processed like regular table salt. It is best to stay with grey salt, or Himalayian salt or Redmonds if you are unfamiliar with natural salt. DO NOT USE ADULTERATED table salt. Also use non chlorinated water. This is important. Many folks have a difficult time with their ferment simply because their water is contaminated with chloride.

• April says:

Mine is really salty made exactly to the recipe, even after a couple of years in the fridge. (I forgot about a jar). Tastes great though. I don’t think the grind was fine enough, made in a food chopper. I am a little worried about it so I take no more than a tablespoon a day although I’d happily consume more.

8. Stacy Payne says:

Hi, Becky, could you comment on Joanne’s entry about Himalayan salt? If I have any salt, I just bloat like crazy and my fingers swell. But, will take your advice. Thanks!

• E. Gooding says:

I think you may want to check your potassium levels. The body needs three times the potassium as sodium so if you find you still have problems after switching to sea salt (never use table sale like Morton’s produces) consider adding or increasing the potassium in your diet.

9. Elena says:

Since to is sometimes recommended that those with Hashimotos or hypothyroid are supposed to avoid excessive ingestion of cruciferous vegetables, what are your comments about that? Thanks! 😉

since i am not a licensed dietician or md i can not tell you what to do. i can tell you dr natasha campbell-mcbride, author of GAPS who recommends fermented foods to heal gut issues specifically related to auto-immune says the fermenting resolves the cruciferous issue. my husband has major thyroid damage and when he eats something he shouldn’t have or drinks something he shouldn’t have (like cruciferous veggies in a juice) his throat closes up. he has no issues with kraut or kraut juice.

• jereading says:

Elana – I am hypothyroid and have been fermenting cabbage to help with digestive issues as of late. My understanding is that fermentation will not inactivate the goitrogens in cruciferous veggies like cooking will, however, if consumed in quantities similar to a condiment and IF your iodine level is sufficient, no harm no foul by consuming either kraut or kraut juice. Here is one of the references for this info: http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/bearers-of-the-cross-crucifers-in-the-context-of-traditional-diets-and-modern-science/

10. Constance says:

I’m not sure what “salt sensitive” is, so I don’t know if this would apply. I have to watch salt intake…beginning high blood pressure due to water retention…I have both kidneys, but less kidney function than one kidney, due to infection that destroyed kidney tissue, so have to use salt in moderation. Two single uses of table salt in a day (either cooking or at the table), and I retain water, especially face, hands and joints, lower legs, ankles and feet. I can use RealSalt mineral salt or Celtic Sea Salt in moderation…a little added when cooking and a little added at the table twice a day with no swelling and no apparent water retention, so up to two times the amount of salt (although I still keep the amount small) without any of the problem…it also has not caused any increase in blood pressure, which using regular table salt did.

sandor katz, the godfather of fermentation, says salt is for taste not the fermentation process. he says in his mercola interview linked in the post that if you ferment without the salt the enzymes in the veggies will still ferment the veggies.

• Linda says:

I made some fermented saurkraut and let it sit for about 3 weeks. I used a good quality sea salt. I am super sensitive to salt and it makes my feet swell and ankles and legs. I noticed when I ate the quote salty sauerkraut, that the salt did not affect me and in fact the whole month I was eating about 2 tablespoons a day of the canbage part and two tablespoons a day of the liquid and it actually took all the swelling away and I was able to eat a TON of salt and salty foods and nothing swelled up. I have not been successful with the sauerkraut making since that first time I made it 6 months ago, but I have some fermenting for 3 weeks now that I’m going to let sit for a few months. I am positive that the drastic reduction in sensitivity to salt was due to the probiotics in the saurkraut I made.

• suez62s says:

NO ONE should use white table salt, or any Morton type salts! It’s laden with chemicals they use in the caking process. And can give you cancer and a lot of unpleasant things. Please, please use Pink Himalayan salt. It’s loaded with minerals that our bodies need. I drink Sole water, every morning, and it has helped my Acid Reflux.

11. Joanie says:

Thanks for providing this recipe. I have a couple of mason jars fermenting on my counter now. Do I need to open the jars to release the pressure that is being created or do I leave them as is until I refrigerate them?

if your lid is bulging then yes. i never have only because once it set it on the corer of the counter it’s out of mind. some people do. it’s an anaerobic fermentation (without oxygen) so it’ll do better if you dont.

12. Justine says:

Thanks for this recipe. I have some organic cabbage heads waiting for me to ferment them. The only thing is I am leaving on a 17 day vacation in 4 days time. Is it still possible for me to make kraut juice & kraut? Should I put in fridge just before I leave ,or how can I best deal with the timing and still have potent, effective kraut & juice to come home to. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

the cabbage will keep while you’re gone and then you can control your brew time better, get a better probiotic out if it if brews longer. if your kitchen is very warm (80 degrees or warmer), and you chop your cabbage super fine into tiny shreds then a 4 day ferment would suffice and then put it in the refrigerator.

13. Kirsty says:

Hi Becky, I just refrigerated the kraut juice after trying your recipe. It kind of just tastes like salty, slightly cabbage tasting, water. No bubbles. Is that right? I let it sit on the bench for 10 days.
    I’m used to making water kefir which bubbles after 4 days so I’m not sure what to expect. Also, what do you do with your cabbage once you’ve drunk the juice? I don’t want to waste it! Thank you.

the cabbage is now kraut. the dilution factor doesn’t provoke bubbles. still highly beneficial. it gets better with time in cold storage also.

14. Melissa Howard says:

For those of you who are salt sensitive, some people ferment their sauerkraut with fresh celery juice instead water and salt. There’s enough sodium in celery to give it some flavor without the added salt.

• Aly says:

Yes Melissa! I was just considering that as well, but wasn’t sure how it’s work for making Krout juice. I do make Krout by juicing celery, carrot, lemon and pouring over the cabbage and thsn stuffing it all in jars.

• plantheseed says:

Is there a certain recipe you follow? Thats a awful lot of celery juice.
      I was considering taking this route ,but, healthy salt is not neccessarily bad, its essential, and it seems people are scared from what bad salt can do. Hopefully, nobody is using the bad salt
      i have a collection of celtic salts like,”flower of the ocean”, grey mineral salts etc.They taste amazing and love how they add a refreshing crisp salt taste to food.
      Hence all of that, the ratio of cabbage/salt seems high, I have made the juice with a different method and used half the salt. Looking to compare , I used this, https://realfoodforager.com/recipe-fermented-cabbage-juice/
      Can anyone verify if it tastes salty, or if all that salt is neccessary?

15. Colleen says:

I’m so excited about this sauerkraut juice recipe because there is never enough juice to just drink. After I make a big crock of kraut I want to store the kraut in jars with some juice to keep it moist. I usually let my kraut go for at least 8 weeks, but I”m guessing since this is not 12 pounds of cabbage packed in a crock it doesn’t take as long. So I only need 9-12 days?

i do mine in mason jars. in crocks it takes longer due to the anaerobic/aerobic aspect. sandor katz does his in crocks, barrels and plastic buckets because he likes to taste them throughout brew time checking for when he likes them. i am low on space here so do mason jars. when i grow up and live in more than 1150 sq feet, family of 4, i’ll do it in a crock hopefully too.

16. Gayle says:

I don’t have a vitamix, is a regular food processor ok?

Yes, absolutely! The main point your are trying to achieve is small pieces so that it is easier to open the cell walls within the cabbage.

17. Lori says:

Do you use the core with this, I already make fermented vegetables, actually am eating some kraut now, but would love to make some kraut juice for when I’m not feeling well, am healing my body from many chronic health issues, and still have many days where I don’t feel well, (environmental pollutants I think, as I’ve been worse since moving into a new apartment, when I have to close the windows, I seem to feel rotten like today, any ideas on helping with this would be wonderful, since I’ve had to use my inhaler to much lately it seems), and what about the juice from other vegetables, like brussel sprouts & cauliflower mix, or english cucumbers, or beets, or dilly beans, I have juice from all these, actually I just added some to my kraut since all of it’s juice leaked out it seems when I fermented it, I’m a beginner and I think I filled my mason jar too full, I didn’t want to do it in my crock since there wasn’t a lot, and I used a quart mason jar, which I barely squeezed it all in there wasn’t much room left, I’ve recently found out you should leave extra room, though, but live and learn, at least none has molded on me yet, which I’m always afraid of.

Yes, the juice from all fermented vegetables would be highly beneficial, again, watching for die off symptoms which is what I believe you are seeing now. I do not add the core of the cabbage in because i can never get it to break down into a sizeable piece. Now that you’ve got me thinking about it I bet it would work well to weigh down the veggies to submerge them into the brine. I leave a solid one inch head space on top of my veggies or my brine leaks out too. Having mold on top of the vegetables is often just part of the brewing process. It happens to me all the time. I just scoop off the top and eat what it underneath. Remember this is how they preserved vegetables before refrigeration.

• rick says:

Curious…do u let ur salted cabbage sit for 20min or overnite before putting in jars and topping up with water?does it really matter?i know the longer it sits the more brine it will make.I make sauerkraut but never seem to have enough brine when its done.This would be great for topping up the sauerkraut jars im thinking?sound feasable?

18. Judith says:

I want to do the juice but am afraid of there being mold. I am allergic to mold and I take shots for it. How long could I allow it to set on the counter before any mold would form? This seems much better as a probiotic than what you buy over the counter because they add things in the capsules that I don’t want to put into my body. Also mold can’t grow on it unless oxygen gets inside the jar, so if the lid is kept tight on the jar then there will be no mold, right. I just wonder if by making this juice & using it there is a possibility that my allergies would clear up and I wouldn’t have to take shots any longer. I have been on them for over 30 years. I have chronic sinusitis, rhinitis & suffer from chronic constipation. I would really like to try this and see if it works for me. Just concerned about the mold. Thank you for any help you can give.

You are correct, air is the enemy. You can also use a weight to submerge the cabbage under the brine layer and using an airlock will also help. Allergies are sourced from a damaged microbiome, the balance of beneficial bacteria in your gut. They go hand in hand. With an allergy this severe GAPS would be the most complete route of healing. You can heal allergies where you will not require shots any further however, with a case this severe I would definitely encourage you to work with a knowledgeable practitioner on this and it doesn’t have to be me as long as it is someone who has walked out of this issue. Other signs and symptoms will occur along the healing path, all of them mean something. If the damage to the microbiome is really bad you will experience histamine issues, growing numbers of other allergies both food and environmental. If the issue is not addressed and supported, rebuilding the microbiome, it will only get worse. Further damage would be evidenced as autoimmune issues or even depression and anxiety. All of this can be resolved naturally.

• Judith says:

Thank you so much for answering. I don’t know a physician that could possibly understand or help me with what I have experienced for so many years. I just had an immune test done about 2 months ago. I was so shocked by the results. I had it done at the allergists office. I had gone in because I had been sick for 2 weeks, had taken an antibiotic and I was still sick with laryngitis so they did a blood test on my immune system. When it came back she said a good immune system would be in the 70’s but mine was in the 90’s. I was speechless to say the least because I thought it would be way low because I have been sick so much over the years. Anyway I live in a small town and I have no idea who to contact about this. When I get sick they just give me antibiotics or penicillin shots or cortorzone shots, whatever to get me well because there are times I have such an infection I can’t function. I have started eating healthier. I do smoothies in the morning & salads in the evening. I am very careful what I put in my system. So much stops me up and the pain is terrible. I eat organic as much as I can afford. Strawberries, avocados, bananas, coconut oil, flaxseed, chia seeds, coconut or almond milk, real honey from a local person, tomatoes, cucumbers, bibb lettuce, romaine lettuce, onions, apple cider vinegar, fresh grated ginger root, cinnamon, ceyenne pepper, cardamon, tumeric, black pepper, sea salt, cloves. I don’t eat out and I fix everything myself. I have been doing this for several months now. And I have to use prune juice in the morning. I don’t like doing that because it has so much sugar in it but I don’t have a choice. I really don’t know where to turn. I have just grown accustomed to what I do every day and realized that is just the way it is.
        I am 72 years old, 5 ft. tall and weigh 110 pounds. I have lived like this for so long but I have tried everything. Right now I have activated charcoal, calcium bentonite clay, & psyllium husk powder but have not used these things as of yet.I got them to do a cleanse but haven’t found the time to use them yet. I will be gone from home for 2 weeks starting Friday to help my sister-in-law who has parkinson’s disease, but will return on the 6th of July. Maybe I can try some of this when I return. Thank you for taking the time to read this and give advice if you want to. I am going to do the kraut juice when I return. I won’t be able to work on it before then. Sorry for the long write.

Judith you poor thing. You describe a great number of things that point to a compromised immune system. There is something inflamming your system that is causing this issue. Please be careful with how much kraut juice you ingest at one sitting as it could very well throw you into a healing crisis, aka Herxheimer Effect. At your age, with this reflective decline in health, there are a number of things that can assist you. Please feel free to call my office for a consult. I am an ND, naturopathic doctor, who practiced traditional naturopathy in North Georgia with a specialty in auto-immunity as well as parasites and GAPS. I can do a phone or SKYPE consult but there is definitely hope and you can live a higher quality of life, as God meant you to live. What you are feeling is not normal and can be fixed. Six years ago I was suffering from repetitive illnesses,frequent colds and just flat out feeling horrible. At this point I haven’t been sick in four years. I look forward to hearing from you: 706-944-3061

• Judith says:

Hi Becky, again thank you for your quick response and for leaving your number. I do plan to contact you, but I am at my sister-in-laws helping her pack to move by the 6th of July. It was originally set for Sept. but when I arrived on Friday the plans had changed. Thank you again and I will get in touch with you as soon as possible.
            Judith

• Amy says:

Hi Judith, I am not a doctor or anything with a title, just a mom of two young children who peruses the internet for natural remedies.

I am in the east coast, where a lot of doctors are in it for the money (vipers). I had perfect teeth (straight, no cavities) until I was in my 20’s when I got into the American culture of dessert after dinner (my parents are immigrants – we never had dessert). After childbirth, the dentist told me I needed several root canals. I was shocked at how my supposed “good genes” had deteriorated and did a dumb thing by not seeking a 2nd or 3rd opinion. After the root canals, all my neighboring teeth were infected and they remain infected.

I can’t tell you the problems I’ve had with a chronic infection. But long story short, I have found that DR. CHRISTOPHER’S INFECTIONS herbal formula works wonders, at least for teeth. I have tried colloidal silver (which works wonders for chronic cough in my children but spraying teeth several times a day did not help much) and food grade hydrogen peroxide. I did not use the latter for too long, as I did not like the idea of ingesting H2O2.

I just thought I’d share my experience with some products that deal with bacterial infection.

Thanks Becky, for the great information on kraut juice – I have been taking the “pills” for years, need to switch to a more economic also more powerful solution for probiotics. My husband has no gall bladder and is in the bathroom multiple times a day due to gut problems. I will make sauerkraut and get him to drink the juice!

19. I’m just wondering about putting a lid on the jars. I know that the probiotic bacteria in this case are anaerobic and don’t need oxygen, but they still give off gas that could cause the jar to explode, no?

It depends. Some people release their gas by unscrewing the lid a bit and screwing it back on, others use airlock while others use just a mason jar with a lid and leave it on the counter. I do the later since it’s a hands off process and if it’s another task in the kitchen it probably won’t get done. I’ve only had a jar break once and I’ve brewed about 3 gallons of kraut juice every other week for over 3 years. It also depends on your jars.

20. Eric Campbell says:

What do I mix the cabbage and salt in ?
    Can I use a large bowl then cover with cloth.

[amazon-element asin="B008601THE" fields="image" ]