photo courtesy of Elwood W. McKay III at freedigitalphotos.net

photo courtesy of Elwood W. McKay III at freedigitalphotos.net

The United States Department of Agriculture says, “Recent data from animal and human studies suggest that boron may be important for mineral metabolism and membrane function.”

One collection of three studies showed functional role of boron, brain electrophysiology and cognitive performance were assessed in response to dietary manipulation of boron using 3.25 mg of boron daily saying, “There was a significant (p < 0.05) increase in the proportion of low-frequency activity, and a decrease in the proportion of higher-frequency activity, an effect often observed in response to general malnutrition and heavy metal toxicity.”

{This post may contain affiliate links which pay for this site}.

Those on boron showed greater manual dexterity, eye-hand coordination,  attention,  perception, encoding and short-term memory as well as long-term memory. Medline Plus shows boron increases testosterone levels naturally.

Other reports show boron potentially builds bone strength and reduces arthritis.

Acu-Cell Nutrition says, “Boron (B) has not been officially designated to be essential to human health at this time, however boron is an essential macronutrient for higher plant forms, and there are some indications that it could be classified as essential for humans.”

photo courtesy of Stuart Miles at freedigitalphotos.net

photo courtesy of Stuart Miles at freedigitalphotos.net

One trial showed use of boron increased calcium and magnesium retention, but reduced manganese levels. Manganese is a c0-factor for calcium uptake. This could be beneficial for those with congested liver disease which leaves a person with high manganese levels that subsequently deplete magnesium and calcium levels.

Boron is commonly used as a yest eliminator. Medline Plus says women use boron inserted vaginally for yeast infections saying, “Some research shows that boric acid, used inside the vagina, can successfully treat yeast infections (candidiasis), including infections that do not seem to resolve with other treatments. However, the quality of this research is in question.”

Research regarding use of boron or boric acid is still in the early stages. Reports generally show statements like boron is likely safe. Or it is likely unsafe such as in using large amounts of boric acid powder for diaper rash or yeast. Boron does show potential stress on the kidney as they have to work very hard to process the Boron.

Boron shows to potentially effect hormone levels, increasing testosterone as well asestrogen. This could prove concerning in the use of baby powders for diaper rash.

The Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology says, “Boron is associated with pectin it is essential for vascular plants as a component of cell walls and is involved in membrane transport. However, a high boron concentration in the soils is toxic to plants and some boronated derivatives are used as herbicides.”

nocamels.com

nocamels.com

They go on to say, “Boron may be involved in cerebral function via its effects on the transport across membranes. It affects the synthesis of the extracellular matrix and is beneficial in wound healing.”

Rex Newnham, Ph.D., D.O., N.D.  is a teacher of soil science, chemistry and agricultural botany realized his arthritis was the result of soil deficiency, specifically in boron.

The FDA says low intake of boron is 0.25 mg per day while high intake is 3.25 mg per day. They recommend, “For vaginal infections: 600 mg of boric acid powder once or twice a day. For prevention of recurring Candida (yeast) infections: 600 mg twice weekly.”

Newnham says, “I looked into the effect of boron and 45–60grams was a dangerous dose. It has about the same toxicity as sodium chloride. So I took less than one thousandth of this dangerous dose, namely 30 mg of sodium tetraborate. In three weeks all pain, swelling and stiffness had gone. I was cured with no side effects..” He has since become an avid promoter of boron supplementation in it’s natural form Sodium Tetraborate, specifically promoting the remedy to those with arthritis. They report the same results he found.

Sodium Tetraborate is easily found in the grocery store in a box labeled Borax. Sodium Tetraborate is used as a laundry detergent booster, cleaner, pesticide as, “Borax and other borates clean and bleach by converting some water molecules to hydrogen peroxide (H2O2),” chemistry says.

Newnham says, “The U.S. Human Nutrition Research Center in North Dakota’ has shown that boron works through the parathyroid, and this is the gland that controls mineralization of bones. Boron also helps to restore the natural hormones to elderly women who were suffering with osteoporosis. This natural hormone is much better than the hormone replacement therapy.[HRT] that is so often recommended by doctors. The HRT too often leads to breast cancer, but not the natural hormone. Patients who have used boron for arthritis just don’t seem to develop osteoporosis.”

The NIH listed the finding reported in Environmental Health Perspectives.

commons.wikimedia.org

commons.wikimedia.org

Ithyroid says, “Boron is essential for copper metabolism and therefore quite probably for the correction of hyperthyroidism and possibly hypothyroidism.”

The Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology says, “Acute supplementation with 11.6 mg of boron resulted in a significant increase in plasma boron concentration. Given such a fast bioavailability, the objective was to determine whether acute (hourly or daily), and weekly supplementation could have any significant biological effects on the steroid hormones and further on some inflammatory biomarkers.”

Acu-Cell Nutrition says, “Toxicity is somewhat dependent on an individual’s kidney functions and may cause boron accumulation in kidneys, lungs, bone, liver, heart, brain, fatty tissue, parathyroid and reproductive glands.”

Foods high in boron are apples, pears, grapes, non-citrus fruit, legumes, nuts, wine, vegetables and avocado.

If you are looking to improve your health is it always wise to seek information from your qualified Medical Professional. This post is not that.

*Nourishing Plot is written by Becky Plotner, ND, traditional naturopath, GAPS who sees clients in Rossville, Georgia. She works as a Certified GAPS Practitioner who sees clients in her office, Skype and phone. Since her son was delivered from the effects of autism (Asperger’s syndrome), ADHD, bipolar disorder/manic depression, hypoglycemia and dyslexia through food she continued her education specializing in Leaky Gut and parasitology through Duke University, finishing with distinction. This is not a news article published by a paper trying to make money. This blog is put out by a mom who sees first hand the effects of nourishing food vs food-ish items. No company pays her for writing these blogs, she considers this a form of missionary work. It is her desire to scream it from the rooftops so that others don’t suffer from the damaging effect of today’s “food”.

“GAPS™ and Gut and Psychology Syndrome™ are the trademark and copyright of Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. The right of Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted by her in accordance with the Copyright, Patent and Designs Act 1988.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestFacebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest

24 Responses to The Shocking Facts Of Eating Borax For Your Health

1. Terry Gibbons says:

Have you written a book or how can I follow you and the information you share.

2. Daniel says:

Thank you for such an informative blog.

3. Tricia says:

This is such exciting news. Thank you for sharing your findings!

4. charlie rogers says:

the article immediate skips over the differences between the two, boron and borax. i find that odd. borax is not boron. boron is contained within borax. there are no specifics on a box of borax for internal ingestion.. eating too much? too little? you don’t know. no specs! . hence, borax is risky at best. boron is carefully meted our in supplement form. regarded as safe in the industry.

• prioris says:

I cured my rheumatoid arthritis in 4 weeks with borax. It had no effect for 19 days then on day 20 I could feel it working. I put 1/4 tsp in glass luke warm water and drink it in morning. Borax is low risk. Lot of people hve taken it. Research it. To be on safe side just know what boron overdose symptoms are.

Thanks for sharing this! Fantastic!

• mhikl says:

I have had the same results, prioris. I’ve been taking Borax for nearly 9 years and a dentist almost 2 years ago kept exclaiming throughout the interview that, “You have extremely strong bones!” At the next appointment to have the root canal, I got up the courage to ask him if he meant ‘strong bones’ for my age, I was 63. He exclaimed, “No, for any age!”
        I have a bad hip from a muscle tear and cannot walk well, and this has been for over 33 years now. No way did I get strong bones for any age from exercise.
        Thirteen months after the root canal, the same tooth began aching terribly again. I thought I would have to have another root canal. But instead I took a tsp of borax. Within twenty minutes the pain greatly subsided, about 80%. When the pain began to return, I took another tsp. After about two weeks, there was no pain until it was time to take another teaspoon of it. I ended up doing this for a little less than four months, four teaspoons over the day and one as I went to bed. I continued until the pain was gone and did not come back.
        It has now been seven months since stoping taking that amount and that often, and other than the quarter tsp I take in my water a day, I have not had any bother from that tooth. Two months ago I went completely off the Borax for a month to see if it would return; it did not. But I then noticed that my astigmatism in my right eye came back and I could not use it at night in bed reading. Taking it improves that eye almost totally when lights are dim and i am not wearing my glasses. I also use borax drops I make up for my and my Corgi’s eyes. It cleans up gunk and takes away itch. And it does not sting, even as just plain water will irritate the eyes.
        I have studied up on boron and borax and I shall be taking this, along with magnesium throughout the day for the rest of my life. Both seem to improve my aches and pains which used to make it difficult to move, to get into and out of bed.
        Namaste and care,
        mhikl

5. Elizabeth King says:

I’m buying Borax. Great article.

6. rob chizmar says:

don’t forget vitamin k complex!

7. James says:

I’ve also been on borax (lick the tip of finger and dip method) for about 2 years. The three cavities in my teeth disappeared, and 9 other watch areas vanished. Also, I switched my diet to the Blood Type Diet (but the cavities started going away before this switch). All gum recession is also gone. My last time at the dentist, he said, “my God, somebody blessed you with great teeth.”

I’m running on all 8 cylinders like I was 18 again. Silicon dioxide nano-particles, manganese supplements, and titanium dioixde nanoparticles are major disturbers to boron balance in the body, so I’ve had to stay away from those too.

• Fran says:

So you quit taking the supplements since your on Boron? And what’s the difference in the both, boron and borax?

8. Gita says:

Thanks for sharing guys. Can someone please share where to buy borax and what kind?

It is linked in the post.

• julene says:

I live in the USA and I buy the 20 Mule Team Borax at my local Dollar General store. I came across Borax when researching natural treatments for arthritis. I believe it has tremendous health benefits. I’ve been using it for nearly a year now. Earthclinic.com has some very useful info/research/reviews. A regular contributor to that site, Ted, has protocol that is recommended. I go by that.

9. Angela says:

I currently have Lichen Sclerosis. The natural cures seem to point to drinking Borax to heal. But I’m afraid to. Any thoughts? The cause is candida in my system.

10. Julian says:

Borax 99% pure is what is recommended for human consumption.

11. Dan Nave says:

The boron content of borax is approximately 11 per cent.

12. Dan Nave says:

1 Teaspoon of Borax weight approximately 3 grams, containing 330 mg of boron.

• The reason for using borax is because it is in an ionic form from what I understand hence more able to absorb. I wouldn’t know which boron supplement to buy as an alternative. From what I can understand, boron is not easy to a absorb.

13. Ryan Carty says:

Research is showing that prions are what’s causing alzheimers, parkinsons, Huntingtons, als, ms, and autism too. I got a prion disease from taking a health supplement called elk antler velvet spray. I’ve tried almost everything with little or no benefits. My last ditch effort is to try borax. The strain of prion disease I have resembles scrapies which research shows that it is transmissible to humans they are reinvestigating old cjd cases to see if it was scrapies and not cjd at all. The supplement I took came from new zealand which is a huge importer of sheep I believe the elk were living on the same farm as the sheep that had scrapies and it was spread to them. I was a respiratory therapist for 10 yrs in Philadelphia I’ve been to every doctor you can think of and no one knows how to help me. It’s affected mostly my body and stomach more than anything also my brain in certain ways too. Also what I have is highly contagious through saliva, urine, and feces. Hopefully this borax stuff can help me. Ive spread this to my kids wife and family in nj and now out in az too its a horrible mess and the doh and cdc and government or medical facilities won’t do a damn thing to prevent this from spreading to more and more people. There will eventually be an epidemic of this very, very soon mark my word.

14. julene says:

I have researched borax on numerous occasions. It could likely be what helps you. I take it for mild arthritis, toe nail fungus and bone health, etc. You should go to earthclinic.com to research borax and read everything you can find on it, esp any suggestions/recommendations by Ted. He’s a chemist from Bangkok, I believe, and a beloved contributor on many many health matters. I’m a “follower” of his myself. Reviews that people share are often very helpful, too. It’s a great site. earthclinic.com is where I came across a blog http://www.delusionalinsects.com. I started reading it out of curiousity. The writer of the blog was plagued by parasites and was seriously considering taking his own life. Someone told him to visit earthclinic and he got help from Ted, with some awesome results. I went back to the blog at another time and it seems like the man’s cure did not last or he was still having some issues but he was a lot better. You might find this of interest. The blog is here: http://www.delusionalinsects.com
    I just went there and he has an update as recent as 12/2016.

• julene says:

Also, have you come across Jennifer Daniels. She’s an MD, I believe, who started treating her patients with more natural approaches. She is widely known for recommending turpentine,esp for ridding one of parasites. I’ve read some articles and listened to several youtube videos of her being interviewed. I am buying turpentine (Georgia Pure Gum Spirits Turpentine) soon because I want to use it for a cleanse.

I also came across Clive de Carle on youtube this past weekend. The first video I watched with him was “Why are cures against the Law?” You might enjoy what he has to say. I can’t remember if he got into Borax or not. He was talking about one thing being banned in many EU countries and it may have been iodine. He got into colloidal silver for a short part of the video., too.

Both he and Dr. Jennifer Daniels are available for consultations by phone, but i wouldn’t have a clue what they charge.

[amazon-element asin="B008601THE" fields="image" ]