It’s Friday and the men of this house are heading out to camp for the weekend (I’ve got a women’s conference at church). There are numerous meals we can pack for on-the-go-food but let’s be serious here, nothing tops bacon jerky. It’s easy. It’s tasty. It’s an energy giving food being that it’s a healthy fat. Plus it holds you over forever with consistent fuel.

To quote Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, “Vegetables cleanse, meats and fats nourish.”

Remember parasites and worms can be acquired from pork. Be careful with your meat, be sure it has been deeply frozen for 4 weeks prior to using to kill any potential pathogens. Watch your temperature and cook thoroughly.

First, start with a good source of bacon. It’s vital that the pig was NOT fed antibiotics and was preferrrably not fed soy but instead pastured.

Cut the slices of bacon in half so they’re easier to eat. Marinade them for four hours if you choose. My favorite marinade is tomato sauce, honey, garlic, salt and pepper to taste.

Lay the bacon slices out onto dehydrator trays.

Leave space for plenty of air movement. Dehydrate on 145-200 degrees for 8-12 hours being sure the meaty part of the bacon is cooked through when it’s done. Let it dehydrate to your  preferred crispness. The longer it dehydrates the more fat will cook off the bacon making the whole slice crisper. I like mine looking like the picture above but feel free to set your own timeframe.

Bacon jerky is best when you don’t tell your family it’s there. For some reason that makes it dissapear.

Bacon jerky stores perfectly in snack zip top bags.

6 Responses to Bacon Jerky

1. sue says:

what’s wrong with just cooking bacon and eating it out of sandwich bags? I’m not sure that I need honey on my bacon, do I ??

sue my bacon comes unseasoned and uncured, basically i get porkbelly sliced up, so something needs to be added. you could do bacon out of sandwich bags but this is a totally different product. very transportable.

2. Kathy says:

Can this be done in the oven or do you have to have a dehydrator?

not sure. before i had a dehydrator i made my yogurt in the oven successfully but that’s not hot enough to cook bacon jerky, which needs to be around 145 degrees. if your oven goes low enough i would certainly try it! let us know your results.

3. Michael Skidmore says:

After much searching on Google was thrilled to find a recipe for uncured bacon jerky from our CSA, I even have the same dehydrator as you … The Excalibur from cabelas. But you don’t give any measures or ratios for the ingredients. Would you please add them on? On a per lb of bacon basis? How much tomatoe sauce or paste? How much honey, etc.

Sorry to not be specific. I don’t really measure when it comes to stuff like this. I flavor according to taste.